Written By: Nadereh Nabai
Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all of you and your family!
In keeping with tradition here’s the list of this year’s favorite toys, but first I want to share a few thoughts:
The research is not conclusive on the effect of digital devices on a rapidly growing infant’s brain therefore, consider erring on the side of caution and not buy one for a child younger than 2 to use, unless for video chatting with parents and family members. Remember infants and very young children learn best by physical play and face to face interaction and conversation with adults and with other children. On the same note the American Association for Pediatrics recommends the following:
- For children younger than 18 months, avoid use of screen media other than video-chatting. Parents of children 18 to 24 months of age who want to introduce digital media should choose high-quality programming, and watch it with their children to help them understand what they’re seeing.
- For children ages 2 to 5 years, limit screen use to 1 hour per day of high-quality programs. Parents should co-view media with children to help them understand what they are seeing and apply it to the world around them.
- For children ages 6 and older, place consistent limits on the time spent using media, and the types of media, and make sure media does not take the place of adequate sleep, physical activity and other behaviors essential to health.
- Designate media-free times together, such as dinner or driving, as well as media-free locations at home, such as bedrooms.
- Have ongoing communication about online citizenship and safety, including treating others with respect online and offline.
Before buying gifts take an inventory of what your kids have and put away; or better yet, give away old toys they have out grown and make room for the new.
Melissa and Doug (ages 2- 6+)
Create Your Own
Child Board+ Coloring Books
Games to Play Together
Good for Little Fingers (Ages 0-3)
Good for Medium Fingers (Ages 4-5+)
Good for Older Fingers
Eating and Edibles
Active Play Younger (Ages 0-5)
Active Play Older
If you do any shopping at amazon, remember to go to smile.amazon.com– a portion of your purchase goes towards a charity of your choosing for no extra charge!